Back | Home


In Memoriam

Meyer G. Miller, ’33
Lady Lake, Fla.
August 5, 2007

Malcolm Dudley Phillips, ’45
Darlington, Md.
September 13, 2007
Dr. Phillips financed his medical education by working nights at Bethlehem Steel. He interned at Maryland General Hospital before residency training at Harford Memorial Hospital. Upon completion of training, he opened a family practice in Darlington where he practiced for five decades and delivered more than 2,000 babies before retiring in 2000. Phillips served on numerous boards including the Harford County Tuberculosis Medical Advisory Board and was a founding member of the Darlington Volunteer Fire Department. He was named Darlington’s VIP during its 1992 apple festival. He enjoyed his dogs, reading mysteries, and listening to big-band and swing music. After retirement he and wife Peggy lived in Fort Myers, Fla., during part of each year. Phillips is survived by two sons, three daughters, ten grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. He was preceded in death by son Paul and daughter Marcia.

David N. Sills Jr., ’46
Milford, Del.
August 6, 2007
Mercy Hospital in Baltimore was the site of Dr. Sills’ internship after graduation, and he spent the next year there as an assistant resident in general surgery. From 1948 to 1950, he served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, and from 1950 to 1953 was a general surgery resident at the University of Texas. Sills practiced general surgery and was president of the medical staff at Milford Memorial Hospital. Memberships included the American College of Surgeons as well as the Society of Abdominal Surgery. Sills enjoyed tennis, golf, fishing, gardening, furniture making, magic, and travel. He is survived by wife Norma.

Elizabeth Coultas Stockman, ’47
Morristown, N.J.
June 10, 2007

Frederic R. Simmons, ’50
Sun City Center, Fla.
July 23, 2007
During World War II, Dr. Simmons enlisted as an aviation cadet in the U.S. Army Air Corp., flying in B-17s as a bombardier-navigator with the 15th Air Force Heavy Bomber Group. He logged 230 combat hours during 49 missions and was shot down during a raid over Budapest, Hungary, where he escaped from German-occupied territory by meeting up with the Russians. Decorations included the Purple Heart and the Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters. He completed his undergraduate degree after his discharge, and after medical school Simmons re-entered the Air Force as a medical officer. He completed training at Walter Reed Army Hospital before residency training in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins and Balti-more City Hospital. Simmons was a flight surgeon and pediatrician while with the Air Force, and he was discharged as a major. He moved his family to Daytona Beach, Fla., in 1956 and entered private practice as a pediatrician, where he remained for nearly 30 years before retirement. In practice he served on the board of the Florida Pediatric Association and was chief of pediatrics for Halifax Hospital. Simmons enjoyed reading, golf, and boating. He is survived by wife Vera, two daughters, four sons, and 14 grandchildren.

Samuel J. Abrams, ’54
Baltimore
September 16, 2007
Dr. Abrams received his training at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore where he spent his entire medical career as a general and pediatric surgeon. He also served as chief of surgery at Baltimore County General Hospital. His passion was preserving history, and he built a number of exhibits at Sinai including a recognition wall recognizing virtually every employee of the hospital. Abrams was an ardent supporter of the medical school, serving as chair of the MAA’s Davidge Hall Committee during the 1980s and 1990s and overseeing the building’s conservation plans as well as its museum collection. In September 1996, he presented a paper on Davidge Hall in Greece before the 35th Inter-national Congress of the History of Medicine. He was a consultant and portrayed Dr. John Davidge in the 1997 production of Ars Medicinae, a video tracing the founding of the medical school that continues to be shown today to incoming students. He served as a volunteer caller for the MAA’s annual phonothon in Davidge Hall and was a member of the John Beale Davidge Alliance, the school’s society for major donors. Survivors include wife Elaine, two sons, and three grandchildren.


Memorial gifts are
warmly received by:

Medical Alumni Association of
the University of Maryland, Inc.
522 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, MD, 21201-1636

For more information
simply call (410) 706-7454

 

Back | Home

Ralph D. Natale, ’59
Towson, Md.
August 25, 2007

Edward F. Quinn III, ’69
Milford, Del.
July 3, 2007
Dr. Quinn interned at Ohio State University in Columbus before ortho-paedic residency training at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md. He served in the U.S. Navy and achieved the rank of lieutenant commander. Quinn was chief of surgery at Milford Memorial Hospital, and in 1975 was founder of the Dickinson Medical Group. He served on the staffs of Kent General Hospital in Dover and Beebe Medical Center in Lewes. Quinn was a past president of the Medical Society of Delaware and a member of the board of Quality Insights of Delaware. Memberships included the American Legion Post 3 and Milford Elks Lodge 2401. He enjoyed world travel and reading, and he readily shared his expertise on a variety of topics including medicine, politics, language, and history. Quinn was preceded in death by wives Laura and Audrey, and he is survived by fiancee Judi Muir, one son, two stepsons, and a granddaughter.

Faculty & Staff
Edward N. Brandt Jr., MD, PhD
Oklahoma City, Okla.
August 25, 2007
Dr. Brandt served as president and chancellor of the University of Mary-land Baltimore from 1985 to 1989. Brandt was born in Oklahoma City in 1933 and received bachelor of science, MD and PhD degrees from the University of Oklahoma. He later earned a master’s degree from Oklahoma State University. In 1981, President Reagan nominated Brandt to serve as assistant secretary of health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, overseeing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and the National Institutes of Health. He was highly praised for his team’s response to the first cases of HIV and AIDS, as they were able to determine the nature of the disease and how it spread. While assistant secretary, Brandt served as the U.S. representative to the executive board of the World Health Organi-zation and established the first Public Health Service Task Force on Women’s Health. After serving at Maryland for four years, Brandt became executive dean of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine and served in recent years as professor emeritus at its College of Public Health.

Keith Morgan, MD
March 2007
Dr. Morgan served on the faculty in the department of medicine during the 1960s. His specialty was pulmonary diseases and, in particular, industrial dust diseases such as asbestos.

Jerome Styrt, MD
Baltimore
June 10, 2007
Dr. Styrt was an instructor and professor of psychiatry at Maryland in the 1990s and served as an instructor at John Hopkins University School of Medicine. He was a resident supervisor at Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital and a faculty member of the Baltimore Psychoanalytic Institute. Born in Chicago, Styrt received his bachelor’s degree in chemistry at the University of Chicago before earning his medical degree at the University of Chicago School of Medicine in 1945. During his residency training at the Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital in Towson, Styrt served as an assistant medical officer in England at the Retreat in York and Belmont Hospital in Sutton, Surrey. He continued his psychiatry training at the Johns Hopkins Univer-sity through 1950 and served the U.S. Public Health Service during the Korean War before returning to Mary-land in 1953. In 1989, Sheppard Pratt awarded Styrt a distinguished teaching award, and in 1995, he earned an outstanding volunteer faculty teaching award from Maryland. Styrt enjoyed playing tennis, golf, and squash in his spare time, and had a passion for art and music. He is survived by wife Mary, two children, and one grandchild.

Raymond E. Vanderlinde, PhD
Catonsville, Md.
July 21, 2007
Dr. Vanderlinde was an assistant and later associate professor of biochemistry at Maryland from 1950 to 1957. Born and raised in Newark, N.Y., he earned a bachelor’s degree in science education from Syracuse University in 1944. This was followed by a master’s degree in science education in 1945, a master’s in organic chemistry in 1947, and a doctorate in medical biochemistry, all earned at Syracuse. After teaching at Maryland, Vanderlinde held teaching positions in biochemistry and pathology at Syracuse, West Virginia Univer-sity, and Albany Medical College. From 1962 to 1965, he served as associate laboratory director and clinical chemist at Memorial Hospital in Cumberland, and he was director of clinical chemistry for the New York State Depart-ment of Health from 1965 to 1977. Vanderlinde was at Hahnemann from 1977 until retirement in 1990. After-wards he advocated for patients’ rights as a public member of the institutional review board at St. Agnes Hospital. Vanderlinde was a board member of the Friends of the Catonsville Public Library and volunteered in the library’s historical and genealogy section. In 2003, he published The History of Charlestown. Vanderlinde was an auto enthusiast and collector, and drove several of his cars in the Catonsville’s Independence Day parade. He is survived by wife Ruth, one son, two daughters, and three grandchildren.